Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11th


Salutations! I just wanted to take a moment and reflect on this date 7 years back. I remember that morning pretty well...I was getting ready for school, and listening to NPR news. They announced that a plane had hit one of the World Trade Center towers, but I didn't even know what those were or why it was so significant. So, I continued getting ready, and got on the morning bus. Everyone was wearing a somber face, and we were all listening to the radio, following the breaking news. I remember hearing that the second tower had been struck. At that moment I was actually scared, because by then I had realized the significance of all these things. When we arrived at school, the principal came around to all of the classrooms and talked a little about what all was going on. For some reason, I don't remember much else about that day, except that I was at soccer practice and it was hard for me to focus on the game because I was really worried about all the people in New York.

So, that's my memory from that day. Today in my Spanish class, I learned a cool bit of Chilean history. On September 11, 1973 there was a military coup, and several opposing people were kidnapped and never heard from again. That dictatorship remained in place until 1990. Wow. So y'all can stick that in your gee-whiz file!

No comments: