Saturday, February 14, 2009

The semester thus far:

Hi everyone! It's been an eternity since I've posted on here, so I figured I'd let everyone know what's going on in my life these days!

Where to start?

Well, I had the worst weekend ever two weeks ago. On Friday afternoon I was in my dance class doing the tango when I slipped and rolled my ankle. It was SUPER swollen, so I went to Urgent Care to make sure it wasn't broken. Luckily it wasn't but the nurse told me that I'd be on crutches for a week, and using an ankle brace for at least 6 weeks. That was terrible news, considering I was getting ready for a dance competition the following Wednesday, and I had a clarinet audition the following day! Oh well. The next morning, I hobbled to my clarinet audition the next morning. I got there 40 minutes early so I took some time to warm up and practice, and I thought I was playing really well. Then I went into my audition... and bombed it. They asked me to play 2 easy scales (Ab major and F# minor) but my fingers completely forgot what they were doing. The pieces I performed were okay. Maybe mediocre at best. They didn't even want to hear my sight reading. So, I hobbled home dejectedly.

Anyways, my ankle was doing a bit better, so one of my dance partners wrapped up my ankle and I got to dance at the dance lab on Wednesday. I danced 2 rounds of Paso Doble, and made it to the semi-finals for Tango. Sprained ankle and all. Woot woot!
Here are the two Paso Doble videos. Sorry they're not that great, I'm not the best at it.




And here's a Tango video:

So things continued to pick up a bit. My D&C teacher completely canceled our first exam, and gave us all 100% on it. Way better than I could have done!

Anyways... So last Monday I got an email from the School of Music, letting me know that I was not accepted into the Music program. (I've gotten three of these during the past three years.) So I kinda had a breakdown and started making plans to transfer schools. It sucked.

But, things have already been looking up a bit. I changed my major to Spanish on Thursday. I think it's time to hit up my back-up plan and become a Spanish Teacher. I have an appointment with an adviser to make sure it's a good idea and it's really what I want to do.

Anyways, that's where my life is at now. Still no concrete plan, but at least I have some prospects now. And, a car update: I successfully and without *too* much trouble managed to replace the nasty blown speakers and the cassette deck stereo in Esteban (the new ride). I'm so proud! And it sounds great.

I'll try to be a bit more consistent with my blog posts! Valentine's Day is completely superfluous and commercialized, but I hope you all have a great one anyways! :D

4 comments:

Em said...

Sorry about your bad weekend, Brian! I hate when that happens. But, I do believe that the Lord is blessing you for sticking it out, and many good things will come your way. Hang in there, buddy!

Trevor said...

Dang dude, sorry about the music program. I think you'll be a great Spanish teacher!

Unknown said...

you need to post again

BUT ... you can dance!!! that's so awesome...and I am so jealous! YOU are a rock star!

Coryn said...

I agree with Sean, you can dance, dude!